Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pregnancy- Liability

Written May 8, 2010. The reason I've been feeling so angry is below.. my feelings have been hurt... and not just because i'm hormonal- because I'm a human- and I don't like being called a bad mother- and I don't like people believing that I am intentionally putting my baby at "risk". I'm not an idiot... there's no sliding or diving or throwing myself in front of bullets- I'm smart and as any mother is- baby gets protected first... and remember- this is a NON contact recreational sport- we're not playing for money or medals or even recognition- it's called fun. I've been told constantly to keep active this pregnancy- and that I have- I've gained half as much weight in the first 19 weeks compared to with Abby- my blood pressure is perfect and I feel good.. still cranky mind you... I don't have a social life any more outside of toddlers (and their amazing Moms) or work- this is my alone time to do just for me... Jay's laid off I make pennies an hour- I don't have the funds to go to prenatal yoga for a shocking $150 a month... let me play... I'm not asking to deliver my baby on the field and then go up to bat- a few more weeks until I FEEL it's time to stop- until I make the choice. I'm not an idiot.. don't treat me like one- and stop spreading rumours about me throughout a league where I know no one- how do people I don't even know know I'm pregnant-- I've never met them! I didn't make a Poco Slopitch League pregnancy announcement... I refuse to back down... this is my choice.. I will put my career choice to work in my personal life- and be my own advocate...sure my voice may waiver as I listen to discrimination and "liability" concerns- but I'm not the only person to struggle with this kind of thing- sure maybe my degree is less- but I'm good at my job... and I'm not backing down. May 4, 2010 To the Executive Board of the Poco Slo Pitch League, My name is Amy Mazzone and I currently play on The Fireballers in B Division of the Poco Slopitch Softball league. Often you’ll find me back catching or playing first base- and you may or may not notice that I am pregnant. On May 2, 2010 I was approached by XXX XXX and half heartedly informed that I would “have to stop this soon”. At first I had no idea what he was talking about until he poked me in the stomach and said that “today’s game was just for fun” and then stated “when his team plays my team I would no longer be playing”. I informed him there was no such rule and or limitation in our league rules and I would continue to play in the league until I made the decision to stop. Mr. XXX insisted that it was “in the rules” and I had no choice in the matter. This happened during a double header in the middle of the second game when I was “in the hole” and waiting to go on deck. I had made arrangements with my team for a sub half way through so I could make it to work on time- I called my sub in early and informed my team I would be leaving- this occurred after I ran the bases and scored a run for my team. I was doing my best to hold it together- as a strong woman who makes her own decisions I was in total and utter shock that a stranger, stating he was bearing the news of the “executive committee” would speak to me the way he did in the middle of a game. As I was visually upset Mr. XXX took it upon himself to attempt to continue delivery of his message. During this time I was told I was a “liability” to the league and to “think of my kid” and “what kind of mother puts herself in such a position” (playing slo pitch while pregnant). These statements along with being referred to as “honey” enraged me not only as a woman and a mother, but as a human being. I could not believe that something as important as being essentially kicked out of the league was being handled in such an utterly unprofessional, condescending, chauvinistic manner. I can appreciate that some women would choose not to continue playing a sport or doing certain activities while pregnant- in my opinion that is their choice and a decision those women would be making themselves along with the support and advice from their significant other and their physician. However, I have made the choice to continue playing a sport that I love and am good at. My doctor is fully aware and in support of my choice and has informed me that so long as I feel comfortable playing I am able to continue to do so. My physician trusts that I am of sound mind and body and this being my second pregnancy she trusts that I will listen to my body and play within my limits. I am not a child who missed a day of school due to being ill but if you feel the need to have written permission from my doctor for me to continue playing I will get a doctor’s note. I must have missed the memo informing pregnant women that carrying a child makes them a “liability”. I feel that I am no more of a liability than someone who chooses to play with a persistent knee injury or asthma. I would only assume, and I would assume that you feel the same, that those people are making the choice to play within the limits of what is appropriate for their bodies. And speaking of bodies- what about older people playing who have trouble running the bases and take a runner as soon as they reach first base. I understand this is allowed according to league rules and those people are simply playing within the limits of what is appropriate for their bodies- but how can I be called a liability when I can make it around the bases without any assistance or trauma to my body or my baby. One could say that someone who is overweight and smoking and drinking at the games is a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen- but I don’t see anyone asking them not to play. Any of the players in your league could have a myriad of physical or mental disadvantages that do not get addressed and/or accused of causing them to not be able to play- simply because they are not seen: ie there is no visual “belly” that allows other people to “call them out” (of play). I understand that you quoted my team manager, D XX, in a response to an email he wrote on my behalf, SPN rule 5- The Players, Substitutes and Re-Entry Section 5- The Pregnancy Rule. I understand this rule to be applicable in tournaments to be professionally umpired by carded SPN umps and/or if someone feels I am a “detriment” to their performance- ie. a player informs his/her team that they refuse to play on the field with a pregnant person- which to me is utterly ridiculous and runs along the same lines as a player claiming they refuse to play on a field with a player who is physically challenged or is of a specific race or sexual orientation that makes other players feel “uncomfortable”. I am aware that the Poco Slo Pitch League does not write the SPN rules but I would like to add that I plan to address this rule with Slo-Pitch National as well for the reason that I feel it is simply discriminatory. It is also my understanding that there is no reference to defer to SPN rules in the case that the Poco League rules do not cover and issue- and as we as a league or team do not have SPN insurance I don’t understand how we can be expected as players to assume that we would make such a deferment if a rule or player is called into question. For that matter there are plenty of happenings on the playing field that are not SPN “approved”, for example simply the wearing of jewelry while playing. It is my hope that Mr. XXX did not deliver this “message” verbatim as to what you may or may not have already discussed but I feel like you should be aware that the delivery of this “message” was highly unprofessional and insulting and if it was to have come from your executive committee I feel you should be re-thinking your delivery of such “messages” and treat people with dignity and respect. I have never in my life experienced such discriminatory comments with regards to my own body. My body belongs to me and I will not be told what to do and what not to do with it. I believe in my argument with Mr. XXX I asked him if he thought I should be pregnant and smoking crack rather than playing a recreational non-contact sport. I can imagine that the women who make that choice for themselves and their babies are not often told what to do with their bodies- but rather judged by society in silence. I would rather you, as an executive board, sit and “judge” in silence and not tell me what I can and cannot do for myself and my child. And speaking of silence, Mr. XXX mentioned that their had been “talk” about my bulging “liability” I find this very interesting as there have been zero concerns brought forward to me, as the bearer of the bulge OR my coach or team manager. I would be interested to hear the complaints and “concerns” raised and feel it is my right to be aware of such complaints. In short, I have enjoyed playing in this league very much- both pregnant and not pregnant. I appreciate the diversity in the players and the teams and I respect the enjoyment that people of all shapes, sizes and capacities get from being able to exercise and the companionship they get from team comradery. Thus far I haven’t been witness to any discrimination on the fields no matter what the physical capacities of each teams players- unfortunately this past weekend I was a victim of the discrimination I was so happy had no place in this league. I would like to know immediately and in writing how you plan to proceed. I do not wish to be “called out” again mid game on the playing field. I wish to be treated with respect and dignity and like a human being rather than some “poor hormonal woman who must not be able to think straight”. I feel I deserve an apology for the official- or unofficial “heads up” I was given by Mr. XXX. Most of all I would like you to know, and understand that I wish to continue to play until I make the choice to stop. I am an intelligent woman- I consider myself to be a wonderful mother to my two-year-old as well as the baby I carry inside me and to have my abilities as a mother called into question in public by someone who doesn’t know me from Eve was one of the most insulting incidences I’ve ever had to deal with- that being said, this incident hasn’t changed my love for a game I’ve been playing since I was seven years old and I want to continue on with my team until I make the choice to stop playing. Kind Regards, Amy Mazzone 4308 Pender Street Burnaby BC V5C 2M6 604 267 6512

0 comments: